Pages

May 17, 2012

Rhubarb Jam

If I am not wrong, it's been about 4 years ago that I cooked a jam for the first time. Not because I was keen to do so, but the fruit wasn't really tasty, so I hoped that a jam would bring the best out of it. As it turned out pretty okay, I decided to experiment around with other fruits. Somewhen I developed the recipe for this rhubarb jam made with apples that became a favourite in my family. I also cooked pure rhubarb jam, but the one in combination with apple turned to be the winner every time. This time I added some port wine to it, and that was a real good idea. By the way, feel free to add spices like cinnamon, star anise, cardamom or even some black pepper gives a nice kick to it!


Ingredients:

850 g rhubarb
850 g apple
650 g sugar
150 ml port wine
3 tablespoons vanilla extract

Wash rhubarb and cut the ends off, then slice in about 2 cm thick pieces. Peel apples, remove the core and cut in about 1 cm pieces. In a large pot bring it to the boil together with the sugar and port wine and cook for 50-70 minutes or until it thickens. If you want a smooth jam now it is the time to puree. Put it back to the stove, add vanilla extract and cook for another 10-20 minutes. Pour into sterlised jars and leave them to cool covered well in some blanket until it has cooled down completly.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious! Have you tried the combo strawberry-rhubarb? Wonderful too.

Cheers,

Rosa

Related Posts with Thumbnails