Pages

April 23, 2008

Hungarian Rakott Krumpli - Art You Eat #3:Go Local!

The theme of this month's Art You Eat blog event is to go local, that means to cook something including any local product. I was thinking a lot about this event and it was not easy for me to find the right recepie. Finally I have found what I was looking for! In this hungarian recepie you use only local products and this is what I wanted. For this scalloped potatoes dish there are many many versions. I decided to cook the way my mom does. I always buy products when they have their season after all only then they have their real and natural taste. But of course there are some exotic fruits that sometimes I can not resist. You can already buy fresh young potatoes or still the old ones that were grown localy. However it is impossible to cook only with local products. It is enough if one thinks of black pepper that is essencial in any kitchen. Vietnam has recently become the world's largest producer and exporter of pepper. Other major producers include Indonesia, India, Brazil, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and China. So this is definetly something that in no way you could get localy grown in any European country. All I want to say that it is very important to use local and seasonal products in order to reduce pollution, however some products that we are used to we still have to buy imported. I also could have mentioned salt, however here we have local salt, so this does not apply to me. Now here is the recepie for the scalloped potatoes using local potatoes, local eggs, local sour cream, local salt, local sunflower oil, local bacon and local breadcrumbs.

Ingredients:
600 g potato
3 eggs
150 g bacon

oil
breadcrumbs
300 ml sour cream

saltCook potatoes and eggs, peel both. Fry bacon in a little oil. Preheat oven to 200°C. Oil a heat proof form, add breadcrumbs on the bottom. Slice potato and put a layer of potato, add salt, sliced eggs, bacon, sour cream, some drops of oil and breadcrums, repeat this until you used all. Pour sour cream on top, add breadcrumbs. Bake for 30-35 minutes. It is best served luke warm.

4 comments:

AYE Admin said...

Awesome job on going local. It is really hard. I don't expect that we can use only local ingredients, but you are right that it is important to use as much local as we can and work from there. What a great dish!

Melita said...

I like this recipe! Looks delicious, and yummy, and it's not hard to make!

Amy J. said...

I'm impressed that you were able to use so many local ingredients! That looks really yummy - a great "comfort food"!

chriesi said...

Thanks everyone! It is even tastier the next day, like most comfort foods.

Related Posts with Thumbnails